Discovering the Charente
The Tourism Board helps you discover the region and gives you informations about touristic sites with the "Tourisme et Handicap" label.
Angoulême, the city of the Valois and capital city of comic strips : Cathedral, CNBDI (National Centre for Comic Strips). Museums : Paper Museum, Comic Strip, Arts Museum, Archéology, Museum of the Resistance Movement(WW II)...
Cognac : cruising on the river in a traditional boat ("gabare"), the cognac and the cognac circuits.
Festivals in the Charente
January : International Comic Strip Festival
March : Artgila, International Art Clay Festival, in Roumazières-Loubert
April : Detective Film Festival, in Cognac
May : Faites de l’Art, in Aubeterre (art festival)
June : "Musiques Métisses" (world music) - Sarabandes des Bouchauds (circus, theater, music and regional food and drinks)
July : Cognac Blues Passion
August : Hot Air Balloon European Cup - "Musiques du Monde" in Confolens (folklore from around the world)
September : Coup de Chauffe à Cognac (circus and theatre) - Circuit des Remparts, in Angoulême (a classic car race, on a street circuit)
October : Music festivals "Au Gré des Arts"Festival, "Piano en Valois" Festival.
November : Ludoland, a gigantic toy show - Gastronomades, a festival of regional gastronomy !
December : Les bonnes chauffes des bouilleurs de cru (visit the cognac distilleries and learn how Cognac is made).
Places to visit
Forêt de la Braconne : along the paths of this large forest, you will discover a large range of animals and flowers.
La Rochefoucauld : the town has kept beautiful ancient houses. The castle is open to visit : it is the property of the family La Rochefoucauld stronghold for over a millenary. You must also visit : the ancient hospital pharmacy, the Abbey church and the church.
Montbron : this village overlooks the valley of the Tardoire. You can visit the small Musée du Sabot andthe castle.
The water-mills : Moulin de Trotte Renard, in Bunzac on the Bandiat, those of Menet and Chabrot on the Tardoire, the Moulin de la Forge in Rancogne or the Moulin de la Chaume in St Germain de Montbron. The only one of its sort in France, the « Moulin de la Pierre » in Vilhonneur saws enormous limestone blocks.
Vilhonneur : this village has a ford to cross over the Tardoire ; its houses group around a tiny romanesque church.
A discovery of Pranzac
The best renowned monument of Pranzac is the "lanterne des morts" (XIIIth century). On the heritage circuit, you will see :
- the romanesque church with its Renaissance chapel.
- The XVIth century manor with its spiral staircase and its hook pediments.
- the common water mill and its XIIIth century canal.
- the remains of the towers of the medieval castle.
- the gallo-roman ford in "Gros Terme" hamlet.
- the XIIIth century chapel in Flamenac.
During your walks in the nearby forests, you will see the spectacular fosses d’effondrement du karst local (former underground rooms), some of which being 40 m deep.
"L’été actif" : during summer, 130 leisure activities are proposed for free everywhere in Charente : canoeing, trekking, discovery of nature, fencing, tennis, horse riding, archery, sculpture, biking, circus...
"Archéo-Mômes" and "Ateliers des Marmousets" : during school holidays, these activities combine play and creation. The themes are history, architecture and archeology (for children over 8 years).
Leisure activities and sports in Flamenac
During summer, the owners offer the following activities (depending on a minimum number of participants) :
- Claire has a passion for the creative side of patchwork. She offers a beginner class during which you will make a cushion or similar item.
- You would like to regain the flavour of our grandmothers’ cooking ? Eric will be delighted to help you make your own hand kneaded natural sourdough bread with bio flour. You will sample it with your family !
Walking and biking
- The region is ideal for hiking. Many paths are at your disposal, marked by hiking associations. Some of them start near the gites. The GR 4 that leads to Dordogne or Angoulême, runs along the estate.
- You want easy hiking without having to read the maps and search for your way ? Eric and Claire will join you for a half-day and lead you along the country paths to show you the Charente heritage.
- Many biking circuits are also at your disposal.
For family hiking or biking, you will have a choice among many "chemins blancs" to go safely around the countryside.
A horse farm in the hamlet : at a close distance of the gites (300 m), the "Ferme équestre de Flamenac" offers riding lessons and circuits on horseback.
The poneys Polux, Caline and Bambino will delight your children above 4 years old.
A field for outdoor activities
- A 6000 m2 field is reserved for your outdoor activities. A children playground is at your disposal, as well as a multisport net (badminton, volley-ball), a basketball hoop and large grounds for football and other ball.
- Why not socialize with the other gites’ tenants and play badminton or pétanque with them ? Rackets and balls are at your disposal.